Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Knitting

I've taken up knitting!

Well I learnt to knit when I was a kid but I've never had the stamina to finish a decent looking project.

Image via here

So, to stop myself spending every evening in front of the laptop working or reading blogs and things I've decided to knit a throw rug!


I bought 10mm needles and this thick dark grey yarn. And I've made 5 squares of the blanket so far, above is the 6th in progress. I think I'll do 9 squares then sew them together.


Image via here

Anyway, when I was at a church women's conference on the weekend they were talking about how with the cold weather about to start, homeless people need things like blankets, socks and scarves. So when I've finished my blanket I'm going to start doing scarves!

If you are a knitter why not join me! I haven't really thought through it all yet but I think once I've done maybe 10 scarves I'll drop them into a shelter or soup kitchen in the city.

Image via here

It really is relaxing to sit on the lounge watching TV and knit. And I think that if I was living a lonely rough life on the streets, getting a hand made scarf would make me feel even just a little bit less lonely and forgotten.

So come on go get out those needles and wool and get knitting too!

Have a great day,

13 comments:

  1. Yay for new hobbies! (And loving your new prints too)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great idea although knitting is not my forte. I love that rosey knitting bucket image. It's adorable.

    Happy knittng. Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fab idea lovely...I enjoy knitting too..not that great at it...I just dont know why I dont do it enough..but like you..I can easily lose a couple of hours on the pc..when that time could sometimes be spent doing something ELSE for a change..lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Janette - i think i may have some half knitted scarves already on the go! Let me have a hunt around tonight....
    And i love the idea of doing the throw rug in squares - makes it seem so much more achievable somehow! Another one to add to the DIY list i want to try

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea Janette. It is starting to cool down here as well. Might have to give it a try? Have fun! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I agree, it is so rewarding to knit (and crochet) for others. Well done you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a thoughtful idea Janette, I really wish I could knit, I'm hopeless at it. Will look forward to seeing your lap rug x

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great idea to knit scarves Janette. I am not the best at knitting, my nan used to do it so well. She'd it and knit as quick as lightning while she watched tv. It always amazed me. I look forward to seeing your kneerug :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great idea, I did the same thing when it started to get colder last year for exactly the same reason, to get away from my laptop.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a lovely idea janette and a great hobby too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea. It feels good to make something useful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Go for it Janette, knitting is good for the soul. I think about knitting a project, just a tad busy at the moment but I will gladly watch your progress. Good luck.
    Donna xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey Janette, I'm a knitter. lets hang and knit!
    Ali

    ReplyDelete

Thanks! I love reading your comments! Jxx