Here's a little background:
- I decided to decorate Will's nursery with an African Animal/Safari theme because his Daddy is South African so I thought it would be nice to have that connection.
- I set myself the challenge that I didn't want to spend too much on decorating his room and I wanted to make as much of the decor as possible myself.
- I found 'Alexander Henry - Juicy Jungle' fabric which I fell in love with instantly. Not only because it fitted the theme but because it was cute enough to suit a baby's room to a more grown up child. So I ordered the fabric in both the ivory and the blue background from the US.
- We were lucky enough to be given the cot from my sister-in-law which my nephew had recently grown out of, and the feeding chair which rocks and swivels was my mum's which she used to feed my sister and I! The bookcase and tall boy we already had. The Change table is a funny story I will get to later.
We painted the one wall in a light blue so that the cot and three pictures would stand out.
To make the artworks I scanned in the fabric and played around with it in Photoshop to make up little scenes, putting them on a blue background to match the wall behind.
White wicker toy box I bought for around $30.
I made the blue curtains to hang in front of our existing sheer curtains and bought the nappy holder from Spotlight for $3!! and appliqued the lion on.
Will's African Animals on top of the Tall Boy which I had planned to paint white but I don't know if I can be bothered now. What do you think? Leave it or paint it?
The wall sticker was $39 and the white wicker laundry hamper was $29 I used the blue fabric to make a liner for it and it matches the toy box. The change mat was from my Sister-in-law.
I couldn't find a change table that I liked and that wasn't quite a few hundred so when I saw a little white cupboard on the side of the road which had been put out for council clean up I asked my Dad and hubby to go collect it for me. G (hubby) thought I was a bit crazy when I told him it was going to be our change table but then I explained that I planned to get sheets of melamine cut to size and screw them onto the existing cupboard and attach a top which I would also get cut to size. I went to Bunnings and got all the bits and pieces for it and I was working on it but found it quite hard getting down and into the cupboard to screw the bits together with my big pregnant tummy getting in the way, anyway with William's early arrival my Dad had to come and finish it for me while I was in hospital, just in time for Will's big home coming! It's not that pretty but it's sooooo practical. You can see on the shelf where the original cupboard came up to.
The lamp on the book case was a lamp we'd had for years which I recovered in the Alexander Henry fabric.
And here is a pic of the wall with the bunting and Eye Chart which you might remember from this post.
So I think I spent about $250 on the nursery all up! But you know it wasn't so much about the money, I just felt it would be so special for my little darling bubby to know that his Mummy made it all especially for him!
Have a lovely day,